We value your health and the health of your family, and are striving to do everything in our power to keep you as safe as possible. For this reason, we have been avidly following research about Coronavirus, and are updating our treatment procedures and preparation daily in response. We recognize this is a dynamic situation and are following state and federal guidelines. At this time, our office will remain open; however, any non-essential in-person meetings are being changed to phone consults to help limit everyone’s exposure. You can get your medications and supplements through the back door and pay online with a credit card as well if you are concerned about coming inside the clinic.
We are dedicated to doing our best to provide a safe and healthy environment for our patients and staff. In this effort, we are asking that if you are experiencing any symptoms including sore throat, fever, dry cough, or shortness of breath, PLEASE STAY HOME. Our clinic is equipped neither for testing nor isolation. If you become ill, please refer to the links at the bottom of this message for viral testing and treatment facilities. We are equipped to facilitate your treatment via phone and telemedicine and are happy to do so if you suspect you could be infected. Please read below to learn about the strategic immune support protocol we are implementing.
WHAT WE ARE DOING:
Cleaning, Cleaning, Cleaning:
Disinfecting surfaces at the front office, treatment areas and high traffic areas such as door handles, phones, pens and other frequently touched places at least hourly is one key way we are working to minimize the spread of virus.
- Screening patients thoroughly before making appointments and asking those with suspicious symptoms to stay home and opt for a phone consult instead. Phone consults for non-essential in-office visits help to limit traffic and exposure for everyone. Thank you in advance for your willingness to help limit exposure by following self-quarantine procedures.
- Asking patients to wash hands upon entering the clinic with real soap and water for 20 seconds – that’s 2 happy birthday songs repeated.
- Masks on appropriate patients.
- Fresh Airflow through open windows.
- Supplements through the back door – call ahead to pick up your supplements or medications through the back door and pay online if you prefer not to come inside.
- Striving to keep 6 feet between patients in the lobby and IV rooms.
What can you do to prepare & limit your exposure?
- Know the symptoms: Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure and may include fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath.
- Please call and change your appointment and stay home if you are sick or exhibiting early symptoms of illness.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wear a mask if you have a cough to protect others or cough into your elbow rather than your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces like doorknobs, and handles using a household disinfectant on a regular basis.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before eating; after going to the bathroom; and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
BEYOND THE CDC – The Naturopathic Approach: Immune Support
If you have any the following preexisting health conditions you may be at a higher risk of developing complications from COVID-19: autoimmune disease, are taking immunosuppressant medication, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, COPD, steroids or are undergoing chemotherapy. We can create individualized protocols for you if you fit into the high risk category. Please call to schedule a phone appointment. 928-774-1770
Below are respiratory & immune boosting strategies for prevention for adults. Pregnant or breastfeeding women and children can call the clinic for a modified protocol that is age/weight appropriate. Before using the below immune protocol, consult with your healthcare provider to be sure these nutrients are safe for your condition and will not interfere with your medications. We are happy to do phone consults if you are unsure.
Adult Short term protocol: 1-3 months max
- Good Hydration – Stanford hospital board reported hydration is currently the #1 treatment because it helps keep your mucus thinned and flowing instead of stuck and congested. Always keep mouth and throat moist, never dry, by taking a few sips of water every 15 minutes. Drinking warm water will move the virus down your GI tract where your stomach acid will kill it versus down your airways. Gargling with warm water nightly will help support the mucosa of your mouth and throat. Recommended daily dose of water = 1/2 your body weight in ounces.
- NAC or Mucinex (guaifenesin without dextromethorphan)
- Mucinex (NOT DM) 500mg 2x daily with at least 16 ounces of water
- NAC 500-1000mg 3x daily with meals
- What NOT to take – Sudafed, Dayquil pseudoephedrine containing medications will dry out your mucus membranes rather than help your body’s natural immune function by allowing mucus to flow.
- Vitamin C 1000mg 3x daily with meals to bowel tolerance.
- Zinc 15mg 3x daily with food.
- Vitamin Code Raw Zinc by Garden of Life will not make you nauseous if lozenges make you nauseous.
- Vitamin D3 5,000 – 10,000 IU daily with food.
- Vitamin A 25,000 IU daily with food (this is not a safe dose for children or pregnant women). Symptoms of sudden vitamin A overdose include increased pressure in the space between the skull and the brain, nausea, stomach pain, vomiting, and skin peeling.
- Elderberry Syrup 1 tablespoon 3x daily with food.
- Probiotics – 1 cap 3x daily with food.
Echinacea is not recommended in autoimmune diseases, and if taken is only beneficial in the first few days.
You can order the above supplements from Wellevate, our online dispensary through your doctor’s link:
- Avoid sugar and alcohol as they will deplete your immune function for 4-6 hours after 1 serving. This gives the virus a headstart while you immune system is suppressed.
- Avoid dairy products if you get sick as regardless of allergy, it is mucus forming and will thicken your mucus.
- DO EAT more brightly colored vegetables and fruits for the antioxidants and nutrient dense vitamins & minerals they provide to support every body system.
- Good Sleep Hygiene is your first defense – ideally 8-10 hours per night.
- Fresh air is key for mental health and lung function, get outside and get some exercise daily. Change the air over in your house as well to release toxins and carbon dioxide that build up from cooking and breathing.
- Warming sock treatment – home hydrotherapy. Click this link for how to do yours at home. WarmingSocksSelfCare.docx
- Be prepared and informed on COVID-19 by obtaining regular updates at www.cdc.gov.
- The Arizona Poison Control System is now available to take COVID-19 calls from Arizona providers and the general public: 1-844-542-8201
- Local Testing Locations
- Our Local ER is the best place to go treatment of severe illness.
- Excellent Article COVID-19 Update; 3/14/2020. A Message From Concerned Physicians
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you might have.
If you have any questions related to your existing appointment or to schedule a new appointment, please call us at 928-774-1770.
Thank you for doing your part by following the CDC recommendations and those set forth by the Flagstaff Clinic of Naturopathic Medicine.
Stay healthy and hydrated. We are here for you.